Pharmacy technicians work under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist and help pharmacists distribute medicines. This involves taking information and filling up a prescription, counting tablets and measuring other prescription medicines, mixing medications and preparing creams or ointments, and prepares various other intravenous medications.
Thus, the role of a pharmacy technician is as vital as other jobs within the medical field. Considering the tasks and responsibilities of a pharmacy technician, just how much salary does one make in the year?
For anyone who are just beginning with their career as pharmacy technician, the salary can start at $7-$8 an hour, while men and women who have longer years of experience inside the field can earn approximately $13-$15 every hour. Roughly, that is $26,000-$29,000 annually.
Factors Affecting Compensation:
Various factors help determine the salary of the medical practitioner for example location of practice, industry, years on call, and credentials given that there are actually also technicians whom earn nearly $40,000 each and every year.
Salary based on State:
As outlined by studies, average rate for pharmacy technicians is from $12-$16 each hour, and among the highest paying States are:
- Alaska - $18.75 every hour ($39,100 per year)
- Washington, CA, and District of Columbia - $18.50 hourly ($38,500 per year)
- Hawaii - $17.00 hourly ($35,300 per year)
- Oregon and Nevada - $16.50 every hour (thirty five thousand dollars per year)
- Wyoming and Connecticut - $16 by the hour ($33,500 yearly)
Within the other hand, following are States that pay the smallest amount of for pharmacy technicians:
- Puerto Rico - $9.60 by the hour (twenty thousand dollars each year)
- West Virginia - $11.90 hourly ($24,900 per year)
- Mississippi, Alabama, and Kentucky - $12.20 by the hour ($25,300 per year)
- Virgin Islands, Arkansas, and Oklahoma - $12.40 hourly ($25,800 per year)
- Ohio - $12.90 each hour - ($26,800 per year)
Whilst the above States pay lower as compared to most other States, one thing that should be considered in the process is the fact that the above mentioned States have lower price of living, thus, the every hour rates are nevertheless competitive especially after taxes along with other fees have recently been deducted.
Salary in line with Industry:
For the average, individuals that found employment in hospitals are said to receive higher pay in comparison with those operating in pharmacies and drugstores.
- Hospital - $32,500
- Grocery Stores - $28,800
- Pharmacies and drug stores - twenty seven thousand dollars
- Department stores (drugstores in malls) - $25,800
- Other stores - $25,400
As mentioned previously, experience and credentials also determine the salary of practitioners. Within the average, pharmacy technicians who have got 3-7 years of experience can enjoy additional 10% salary increase annually, while those technicians who pass their certification can earn a one-time additional 10% increase together with the regular salary. These include just a number of in the reasons on how a pharmacy technician can earn around sixty thousand dollars annually.
As outlined by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, job opportunities for these health professionals is positive and is anticipated to experience job growth by 32% of its current population of 335,000 practitioners until 2020 - that is certainly about 110,000 job openings for pharmacy technicians.